inconsistent SPF warning

Adrian Barker ccaaarb at UCL.AC.UK
Fri Dec 10 16:09:21 GMT 2004

Mark Nienberg wrote:
> Chris Picciotto wrote:
>
>> Sorry -- I seem unable to post to the list. I registered... but
>> perhaps it takes some time to reflect the registration.
>>
>> Anyway - thought you might be interested.
>> Chris
>

> I'll post it for you.
> Mark Nienberg
>

>> Just a couple thoughts here.
>>
>> After going through this whole SpamAssassin 3.0.1 with SPF posts and
>> all the
>> recommended header structures, I found the following.
>>
>> Turning OFF MailScanner's added header.
>> Turning ON Sendmail's Envelope-From header
>>
>> This worked just fine. Then, I turned OFF the sendmail header, and turned
>> OFF spamassassins envelope-from config - and it works perfectly.
>> SpamAssassin 3.0.1 has pretty smart header parsing, and finds the
>> appropriate "From". All SPF checks are working great.
>>
> Hmm.  On my system with both OFF, I don't get any SPF checks at all.
> (Except the SPF_HELLO stuff).
> I don't think there is an appropriate "from" in the headers when
> sendmail's X-Envelope-From is off (except for the one that MailScanner
> adds).
> Mark
>
>> With respect to below - I am not sure it is related, but AWL (I assume
>> Auto
>> WhiteList) is still being "scored", even though I have that config set to
>> "no" in MailScanner.conf. That is odd... but may be related to how
>> SpamAssassin is getting its configuration.
>>
>> Chris
>

> For SA 3 you need to add
>
> use_auto_whitelist 0
>
> to your spam.assassin.prefs.conf.  The setting in MailScanner.conf
> doesn't work with SA3.
>
> Mark Nienberg

Does anyone have the SPF checks working with exim ? Since upgrading to
SA 3.0.1, we have not seen any messages with SPF scores, and we receive
large volumes of email, so would expect to see some. This is with
MailScanner 4.35.10.

Adrian Barker,
University College London.

- --SKUYRWVINLSLKRaDTAbXBLcYEHIAZH--