inconsistent SPF warning

Mark Nienberg mark at TIPPINGMAR.COM
Fri Dec 10 04:57:02 GMT 2004

Chris Picciotto wrote:

> Sorry -- I seem unable to post to the list. I registered... but
> perhaps it takes some time to reflect the registration.
>
> Anyway - thought you might be interested.
> Chris

I'll post it for you.
Mark Nienberg

> Just a couple thoughts here.
>
> After going through this whole SpamAssassin 3.0.1 with SPF posts and
> all the
> recommended header structures, I found the following.
>
> Turning OFF MailScanner's added header.
> Turning ON Sendmail's Envelope-From header
>
> This worked just fine. Then, I turned OFF the sendmail header, and turned
> OFF spamassassins envelope-from config - and it works perfectly.
> SpamAssassin 3.0.1 has pretty smart header parsing, and finds the
> appropriate "From". All SPF checks are working great.

Hmm.  On my system with both OFF, I don't get any SPF checks at all.
(Except the SPF_HELLO stuff).
I don't think there is an appropriate "from" in the headers when
sendmail's X-Envelope-From is off (except for the one that MailScanner
adds).
Mark

> With respect to below - I am not sure it is related, but AWL (I assume
> Auto
> WhiteList) is still being "scored", even though I have that config set to
> "no" in MailScanner.conf. That is odd... but may be related to how
> SpamAssassin is getting its configuration.
>
> Chris

For SA 3 you need to add

use_auto_whitelist 0

to your spam.assassin.prefs.conf.  The setting in MailScanner.conf doesn't work with SA3.

Mark Nienberg