Duplicate emails - same smtp id processed by different MS processes.

Alan Dobkin MailScanner at OMNICOMP.ORG
Thu Dec 9 16:49:54 GMT 2004

On 12/7/2004 12:34 PM, Julian Field wrote:
> With sendmail-8.13 on Linux systems, you need to set
 > "Lock Type = posix" in MailScanner.conf.

FWIW, I upgraded my server from Fedora Core 2 to Fedora Core 3
and around the same time upgraded MailScanner to version 4.36.1-1.
Fedora Core 3 included sendmail 8.13 (previously 8.12 in Core 2),
and I didn't realize that the locking method had changed.  Around
the same time, the MailScanner.conf file, which used to default
to "Lock Type = flock" was changed to just "Lock Type = " (blank),
so I suspected MailScanner may be causing the problem, but making
the change to "Lock Type = posix" seems to do the trick.

In retrospect, I now see that the sendmail release notes warned
about this change over 2 years ago, back in release 8.12.5:

8.12.5/8.12.5   2002/06/25
           NOTE: Linux appears to have broken flock() again.  Unless
                 the bug is fixed before sendmail 8.13 is shipped,
                 8.13 will change the default locking method to
                 fcntl() for Linux kernel 2.4 and later.  You may
                 want to do this in 8.12 by compiling with
                 -DHASFLOCK=0.  Be sure to update other sendmail
                 related programs to match locking techniques.

So, this begs the question, why not set "Lock Type = fcntl" instead
of posix in MailScanner?  Does it not understand this method?

Thanks,
Alan

--
Reclaim Your Inbox - Get Thunderbird!