Problems with SpamAssassin 3.0.1 timing out

Michele Neylon :: Blacknight Solutions michele at BLACKNIGHTSOLUTIONS.COM
Wed Dec 8 07:11:18 GMT 2004

> Recently and perhaps since installing MailScanner 4.36.4,
> I've had problems with SpamAssassin 3.0.1 timing out.  This
> is causing my whole server to slow down and today got to
> ridiculous levels with spamassassin timing out and being
> killed 832 times.
>
> I am also getting this kind of thing:
>
> rejecting connections on daemon MTA: load average: 12

That's your MTA. You can change the settings to rectify that

> I altered my local.cf file to exclude the URIDNSBL lookups.
> I would have liked to have left in the SBL check which I have
> found the most effective, but it causes too many delays:
>
> score URIBL_AB_SURBL 0
> score URIBL_OB_SURBL 0
> score URIBL_PH_SURBL 0
> score URIBL_SBL 0
> score URIBL_SC_SURBL 0
> score URIBL_WS_SURBL 0
>
> This has helped, but the performance problem remains.

You can simply disable URIBL in init.pre  Setting the score to 0 does not
disable the test it simply changes the score

What about your firewall? Are all the required ports open?

The load average suggests that there are issues somewhere in the system.

Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Internet Solutions Ltd
Hosting, co-location & domains
http://www.blacknight.ie/