inconsistent SPF and this list

Mark Nienberg mark at TIPPINGMAR.COM
Tue Dec 7 17:56:46 GMT 2004

Matt Kettler wrote:

> At 04:19 PM 12/6/2004, Mark Nienberg wrote:
>
>> In spam.assassin.prefs.conf I have "envelope_sender_header
>> X-MailScanner-From"
>

> From the sounds of it, SA isn't honoring that setting. From your
> examples,
> it's clearly using the some other header as the envelope sender for the
> check. Your one failure example has a Reply-To header which isn't the
> list... but it shouldn't even try to use that.
>
> Perhaps there was a Return-Path header present when the message came in,
> that got over-written later?

As a test, I changed  to
envelope_sender_header Return-Path

which is what sendmail adds to the top of evey message.  You can see in
my examples that it is always the same as X-MailScanner-From.  But this
doesn't work at all.  Only the SPF_HELO checks are being done, not the
real SPF.  Next I'll try not setting this option at all and see if
SpamAssassin can figure out which header to use on its own.

--
Mark Nienberg, SE
Tipping Mar + associates