Bayes: Worth it?

Koen Teugels kte at NEXIS.BE
Tue Dec 7 16:07:15 GMT 2004

How do you get the mail from the public folder into the sa learn?
Is it done by a share? And every nigth you do an sa-learn??

thanks Koen

Jan-Peter Koopmann wrote:

 Hi,

 Please excuse my bayes ignorance, but don't you have to train
it in some way to know what is really spam and what is really ham?
How do you train a system like this when it's acting as a
gateway?  I always assumed that there had to be user
intervention in the training process...

 Yes and no. As Julian pointed out, SA can auto-learn. You can also teach it via Exchange. One way would be to use public folders SPAM/HAM into which users drag their mails. You can then fetch the mails out of there and feed it back to SA via sa-learn. We currently archive all incoming mail for three days on the proxy via Mailscanner, fetch mails from Exchange public folders, lookup the original mail using the Message-ID and then feed the original mail to SA, DCC, Razor, Spamcop.

Regards,
  JP

                                  Koen Teugels
                                N.V. NEXIS S.A.