Bayes: Worth it?

Skylar Thompson skylar at cs.earlham.edu
Tue Dec 7 15:39:19 GMT 2004

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 10:33:10AM -0500, Christian Campbell wrote:

> I'm running MailScanner as a gateway between the world, an
> internal Exchange server _and_ an internal Domino server.  MS
> scans all mail to and from the Internet, as
> well as mail between the internal Exchange and Domino server.
>
> In this type of configuration, is it worth using bayes?  I'm
> confused as to how I would properly train bayes to be effective
> in this environment, so I haven't bothered trying it.  Does
> anyone have any opinions on how and if this would work?

In order to use Bayes, you need a representative sample (~1000) of messages
for both ham and spam. You're unlikely to get much spam on the internal
relay, but you could likely get a good collection of both on the Internet
relay.

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar at cs.earlham.edu)
-- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/