administrivia: holidays coming up

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Dec 7 14:21:05 GMT 2004

Hi all,

Since the holidays are approaching again, can I remind people that if
you enable an out-of-office auto-responder which doesn't understand that
messages with the header

or which have come via a list server such as jiscmail.ac.uk, should not
be auto-responded to, please visit
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html and set the option
called "Mail delivery disabled temporarily". That way, people who
contribute to the list don't get bombarded with messages about how
support calls should be referred to so-and-so etc etc. If I get any
period, I'll disable delivery for them.

I would also point out that JISCMail advice is to send plain text
messages rather than pretty HTML ones (apart from anything else, digests
get messy with lots of dual format messages) and that legal disclaimers
look rather silly on messages to lists like this (and especially in the
archives thereof!)

Apart from that, I wish you all a merry Christmas and a peaceful and
prosperous New Year.

Cheers,

Julian Field & Martin Sapsed
list-owners