Double Extension Permission

[ISO-8859-2] Marcin Ro¿ek marcin.rozek at IOS.EDU.PL
Mon Dec 6 16:40:22 GMT 2004

    [ The following text is in the "ISO-8859-2" character set. ]

Ed Bruce wrote:
> Marcin Ro¿ek wrote:
>
>> Thom Paine wrote:
>> btw - is this really should be turned on by default? I mean, if a
>> virus sends
>> its copy as eg. document.doc.pif, i will be blocked because of having
>> .pif
>> extension...
>> Just my thought...
> I think this site has a good explanation why you want to stop most
> double extensions:
>
> http://www.cknow.com/vtutor/vtextensions.htm
Yes, i know. But i think that when we ban 'all' dangerous extensions, eg
.vbs/.exe/.reg/etc all files that have double extensions eg. something.doc.exe
will be actually blocked.
 From my own experience i can say, that many people use dots in filenames that
they send in e-mails and that files eg. document.eng.doc  ('eng' from 'english')
are stopped by default rules.
Ofcourse this rule can be simply turned off, but maybe it could be turned off by
default as, in my opinion, it more hurts than helps.
Or...?

--
Regards,
Marcin