System capacity

Mon Dec 6 09:22:13 GMT 2004

Dave

my 800mhz celeron/512Mhz ram and 1x 40MB IDE  tops out at around 16,000
messages per day. Also Runs MailWatch (and the mysql DB associated with
it) on the same box. Normally it's running around the 8,000 per day mark.

Run ClamAV, SophosSavi and SpamAssassin (with pyzor, spamcop-uri plugin
and most of rulesmporium rules + a few other local ones).

O/S is FreeBSD with softupdates on filesystems, and Exim as MTA.

I think you 2.6Ghz P4 is a little *over* powered, but then it depends on
what you can get your hands on at the time I guess...

The systems listed in the MAQ are merely examples of that people have
sent to Julian, not recommended setups.

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

Dave Filchak wrote:
> I just received my copy of the MailScanner book and was beginning to go
> through it and in the course of doing that, it mentions system
> configurations and some examples found on the MAQ. In looking at that I
> came across the following stats that sort of freaked me out.
>
> Hardware: 1 x P4-2.0Ghz, 1G RAM, 80G IDE
> Software: RHES 3, Sendmail 8.12.x, SA, razor, pyzor, dcc
> RBLs: MTA = spamcop, ordb, sbl-xbl.spamhaus
> Virus Scanners: ClamAVmodule SophosSAVI
> Volume: 150 messages/day
> Average Load: Around 2-4
>
> Hardware: 1 X Pentium, 200, 256 MB RAM, 4.3 SCSI HDD.
> Software: Red Hat 9, Postfix 2.0.16, Gateway mode - All Mail forwarded
> to Lotus Domino, Spamassassin, Pyzor, DCC, MailWatch, Vispan,
> Mailscanner-MRTG, Caching Named,
> RBLs: None in MTA, None in MailScanner, All in SpamAssassin
> Virus Scanners: ClamAV
> Volume: 1500 messages/day
>
> Now I have a  Pentium IV 2.6 GHz machine with a gig of ram and and
> pushing through about  750 to 1000 on average with some days going
> considerably higher, so this makes me worry a lot ;-(  Am I totally
> under powered here? I am
> using  a setup very similar to the first one except it is RH 9. I also
> find it odd that the second system can process more mail per day? Is it
> a typo?
>
> Dave

the system manager.