System capacity

Mike Tremaine mgt at STELLARCORE.NET
Mon Dec 6 02:17:47 GMT 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 16:02, Dave Filchak wrote:
> I just received my copy of the MailScanner book and was beginning to go
> through it and in the course of doing that, it mentions system
> configurations and some examples found on the MAQ. In looking at that I
> came across the following stats that sort of freaked me out.
>
> Hardware: 1 x P4-2.0Ghz, 1G RAM, 80G IDE
> Software: RHES 3, Sendmail 8.12.x, SA, razor, pyzor, dcc
> RBLs: MTA = spamcop, ordb, sbl-xbl.spamhaus
> Virus Scanners: ClamAVmodule SophosSAVI
> Volume: 150 messages/day
> Average Load: Around 2-4

I would think that might be a typo? I can tell you that I've seen
100,000 messages on a quad 200mhz pentium pro with 1gb ram. Running
Sendmail, Mailscanner, ClamAV, Spamassassin, SPFmilter and spamcop. Plus
it was running Snort in sniffer mode for the whole DMZ. A Pentium IV and
1gb of ram you've got no worries.