Help. When a email is found on a blacklist, is the email checked for viruses?

Steen, Glenn Glenn.Steen at AP1.SE
Fri Dec 3 18:45:25 GMT 2004

If I understand things correctly any message that is actually delivered somewhere (regardless of the _spam_ actions etc) will be passed through the virus scanner(s).

Get the him/her to return a copy of it to you, then run your virus scanner on it... Does it detect it? (you might have to dig up how the wrapper script is actually called:).

Another piece of advice: get another AV program too. I use both clamav (http://www.clamav.net), bitdefender (jttp://www.bitdefender.com) which are free for linux (bitdef. might need "beta" code maturity, and is reputed to be unstable.... I've never seen that though) and McAfee (since we pay some handsome sum of money for a license that include it a linux command line anyway:)... At least get clam.

-- Glenn

-----Original Message-----
Sent:   fr 2004-12-03 19:22
To:     MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject:        Help. When a email is found on a blacklist, is the email checked for viruses?
        Quick question. When the email comes into Mailscanner, does
Mailscanner check viruses then check the blacklists. Or does Mailscanner
check blacklists then for viruses. If a email is found in the blacklist does
the email get scanned for viruses? Is there config settings that I need to
look at?

        My reason for asking is one of my clients report that he found a
virus that passed through our filtering server. He reports that
W32.Mydoom.M at mm  successfully in passing our filter server. The filtering
server is running

        sendmail                ver.    8.11.6
        Mailscanner     ver.    4.28.6
        F-PROT   Prog ver.      4.4.7
                        Engine ver. 3.14.13

        VIRUS SIGNATURE FILES
        SIGN.DEF created 30 November 2004
        SIGN2.DEF created 30 November 2004
        MACRO.DEF created 29 November 2004

I verified that W32.Mydoom.M at mm was in the virus definitions and that his
email indeed when through the filter server.  Here is the raw email...