/var/mail filling up

Dave Filchak dfilchak at SYMPATICO.CA
Wed Dec 1 19:40:05 GMT 2004

Hello all,

I have a bit of an issue building on my main mail server. I hope these
are appropriate to this list because I am thinking that it has something
to do with MailScanner/MailWatch. If it is not, my apologies.

My /var/ partition is filled almost to capacity and so I am trying to
resolve this issue for very obvious reasons. A couple of things that
perhaps someone here can help with.

Problem #1::
When I run the command mailq, it says that /var/spool/mqueue is empty.
However, there is 182 mb of mail in that directory. When I run mailq
-OQueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue.in it says that the mqueue.in
directory is also empty. but there is 44k worth of mail in there. So my
questions is why the commands show these to be empty when they are not
and how can I resolve this?

Problem #2::
The server was never initially set up with quotas and so there are a
good number of my email clients that leave messages on the server and
fail to practice good housekeeping. So my question is: Is there a way to
initiate directory quotas on the mail spool (or file size quotas perhaps
being more correct?) after the fact? Is it considered ethical to delete
mail in users mailboxes that are older than say 2 or three months?

I have less than 5% space left on this partition and so this is a matter
of some urgency. Again, if this is inappropriate for this list, please
accept my apologies in advance.

Dave