relay score less the the require and identified as spam

Quentin Campbell Q.G.Campbell at NEWCASTLE.AC.UK
Tue Aug 31 08:46:17 IST 2004

[snip]
>> >From our point of view one false positive is one too many.
>>The Spamhaus listing criteria is not at fault, blocking based on it is
>>unfortunately.
>>If you score based on XBL/SBL you will not see a drop in your success
>>rate, as no one rule is going to push an email over the limit (or keep
>>it under it)
>
>Fair enough. When I deploy SA3, I will consider making this
>change so that
>we just score against it, rather than block on it.
>--

If you REJECT messages based on XBL-SBL at the MTA level then the sender
should get feedback via the SMTP channel. This could include some
helpful info from you if you have configured things properly. This would
enable the sender to take appropriate action and in this situation use
of XBL-SBL seems quite reasonable.

If you BLOCK or QUARANTINE based on any DNS BL then as far as the sender
is concerned the message has gone into a black hole.

I carried out a survey recently and 20 of the 23 UK.AC sites that
responded do mail REJECTION at the MTA level using SBL-XBL & MAPS+ (the
free JANET mirror of MAPS-RBL).

Quentin
---
PHONE: +44 191 222 8209    Information Systems and Services (ISS),
                           University of Newcastle,
                           Newcastle upon Tyne,
FAX:   +44 191 222 8765    United Kingdom, NE1 7RU.