Mailscanner doesn't add charset when adding signature

Leif Neland mailscanner-user at NELAND.DK
Thu Aug 26 17:23:06 IST 2004

Julian Field <mailscanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK> wrote:
> As I just tack the signature on the end of the message for
> compatibility with the mail clients, if I just get a message without
> a charset setting in it, I don't know what it might be. I think my
> only option would be to add the MIME-Version header with the charset
> parameter's value taken from MailScanner.conf. But I don't think that
> actually helps at all.
>
> Do I actually have enough information available to work out what the
> right answer is? At the moment, I don't think so.

When sendmail converts from 8 to 7 bit mime, it can be configured to a
default charset, which I have set to iso-8859-1.

So MailScanner should assume the same, if the sender hasn't set a charset.

Do you actually know if the sender has set a charset at the time you add the
mime header?

Leif