Explanation needed if not too much to ask....

Ugo Bellavance ugob at CAMO-ROUTE.COM
Wed Aug 25 20:23:35 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
Rob wrote:

> Please excuse me if this should not have been posted on this list...
>

> I have been using Mailscanner for a couple years now, it works great....
> but over these years,  there has been some changes in mailscanner and
> the parts it uses and how there are used, ie spamassain, MacAfee,
> clamav and so on.
>
> Now as for me,  my job is to maintain many servers for different
> applications not just mail. So for me I install mailscanner and then I
> go away and all works great, I rarely keep eye over it or maintain it
> unless I start to get more spam coming through as I have many other
> tasks to do other than just make sure the email server is up to par . I
> have not had allot of time to thoroughly understand how Mailscanner
> works or how it use other programs to help it work. I do understand the
> basics.
>
> Now my question is, is there a document or website explaining in detail
> all of mailscanner and its 3rd party programs it uses?
>
> IE; I am having trouble understanding how Spamassasin works  using
> surbl.org? The website of surbl.org does not really have much info as to
> how it actual works and or the terminology it uses , like URI's, what an
> URI??
>
> I read all the docs and I am still confused.... as to how SA works now?
> I will assume I can use SA by itself(meaning with mailscanner) with my
> own rules and or files, or I can use surbl. Should I use both?

SURBL is just more tests added to SpamAssassin, but you need an
additionnal module to use it.  See www.fsl.com/support for a special
package with installation.  SURBL is one of the best tools to catch spam.