version information.

John Rudd jrudd at UCSC.EDU
Tue Aug 24 01:30:06 IST 2004

JD wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a couple of questions I want to throw out for the sake of discussion.
> I have Sophos v3.80. Has anyone heard of them cutting off virus definitions
> like symantec and mcafee have been known to do if you don't renew a
> subscription? Im worried that mailscanner will try to run the update script,
> won't get the updates, and I would never ever know until I'm swamped with
> viruses.

It seems like everyone else glossed past this part of it, so I'll answer
it.

1) Sophos releases a new minor number version for the scanning engine
every month.  They're up to 3.84 right now.

2) They only provide updates for the current version, and the most
recent two versions (3.84, 3.83, and 3.82) (and they do something to
keep you from being able to use IDE's with the wrong version number).
However, if you're under current contract, you should be able to get the
latest and greatest and update it.  I tend to wait 2 or 3 months between
installing new versions, though I think someone on this list has a
script for automating the updating of the engines.  I still do that part
by hand (but the IDE updates I do automagically via sophos-autoupdate).

So, yeah, that's why your virus IDE's aren't really effective anymore.
You're using an engine that's 2 months out of support.

I've been contemplating looking at clamav, too, but haven't gotten to
it.  I'm thinking about running it in addition to sophos, though; not
instead.  Though, our Sophos contract ends in January.