Way OT: SSH worries

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WITTSEND.COM
Sat Aug 21 03:11:33 IST 2004

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 12:15:12AM -0500, Alex Neuman wrote:
> I have to admit I'm stone cold dumb as to IPv6 as well. Can you recommend a
> good place to start reading up?

        Not a problem.  All too common, in fact.  Especially in North
America where we seem to collectively have our heads in the sands and
don't realize that IPv6 actually passed IPv4 by in terms of routable
network capacity (not counting 6bone or 6to4 - just the production networks)
some time ago.

        First starting point, "IPv6 Style" <http://www.ipv6style.jp> but
don't let the .jp scare you.  It's in English and loaded with really
cool articles on getting started cheap and easy.  One of my favorite
IPv6 sites, hands down.

        From there, you might check out DeepSpace6 <http://www.deepspace6.net>
(Tends to be slow - look for mirrors).

        Check out <http://www.bieringer.de/linux/IPv6>, Peter Bieringer's
Linux IPv6 HowTo (he has a DeepSpace6 mirror).

        Tunnel brokers (if you want static IPv6 addresses) and ISPs:

        Hurricane Electric: <http://www.tunnelbroker.net>
        FreeNet6: <http://www.freenet6.org>
        SixXS (Europe): <http://www.sixxs.net>

        Books:  IPv6 Essentials, O'Reilly

        Shows:  LinuxWorld (me!  :-) )

        It's easy to get started and people don't realize how much
IPv6 is already out there.  Lots of DNS servers and SMTP servers
are already talking native IPv6.  Lots of web servers (I'm surprised
how often my web browser routes out through IPv6 instead of IPv4).  Some
of the root name servers have added IPv6.

        ARIN is now including IPv6 their sites:

[root at alcove mhw]# host -t AAAA www.arin.net
www.arin.net has AAAA address 2001:440:2000:1::16

        Shame on the American Registries for Internet Numbers.  A trivial
EUI address.  Typical IPv4 mindthink applied to IPv6 and so needless.  Sigh.

        Mike
  /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/       |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/