Feature Request (and: Re: deliver and archive)

John Rudd jrudd at UCSC.EDU
Sat Aug 21 00:43:19 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
Right, but what I'm saying is, effectively, to archive by using the
spam/high-spam/non-spam actions to forward messages to an archive email
address, instead of archiving by using Mailscanner's built in archive
function.  That should allow you to weed out spam and/or high spam.

Not sure about viruses.  I almost wish that viruses and filename/type
checks had an "actions" setting (or has Julian done that since my last
upgrade? Last time I made an actions feature request, about non-spam
actions, Julian had in fact already done it) like the spam actions.  I
can see the following action settings:

viruses
noisy-viruses
silent-viruses
bad-filenames
bad-filetypes
spam
high-spam
non-spam

(I include the last 3 for a complete list, and because "non-spam" would
also imply non-virus, etc. in that list)

Then you could have keywords that reflect how viruses are handled (just
like you do for spam): deliver, bounce (which would imply sending a
report when it's a virus/filename/filecheck problem), delete, etc.

And, a second feature request that depends upon the first would be:
have something that orders the processing for those actions.  Sort of
like:

Action Order = noisy-virus silent-virus virus high-spam spam non-spam

(and I would only have messages continue to be processed by the next
action type IF the previous action type included "deliver")

(and this second feature request is NOT the same as asking to have the
order of the actual checks changed (which has been discussed before),
just how messages actions are done)