Sendmail issues with MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN

Mike Kercher mike at CAMAROSS.NET
Thu Aug 19 18:15:49 IST 2004

MailScanner mailing list <> scribbled on Thursday, August 19, 2004 10:26 AM:

> HI
> Sorry to bother you but after 2 hoours on the net and
> complaint from usersyou are my last resort before a downgrade
> of sendmail Running Fedora C2 with sendmail sendmail-8.12.11-4.6
>
> Im getting loads of this in my log and cant figure out why:
> Aug 19 17:16:47 ns2 sendmail[30108]: i7JEGk4c030108:
> host-207-254-243-131.classicnet.net [207.254.243.131] did not
> issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA
>
> If it only was spam senders I wouldnt mind but even companies
> that I would excpect to have a correct MTA get it. We still
> managed to recieve about 7000 mail today so Im very confused
> who to blame. I cant figure out if its me or fedora c2 thats
> screwed or if its some of the companies that dont follow some RFC....
>
> I cant find anything to help me on the web so if anyone got a
> clue pls help or I just have to downgrade my sendmail
>
> /Anders

> Before posting, read the MAQ
> (http://www.mailscanner.biz/maq/) and the archives
> (http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html).

This can happen if a host connects to port 25, but does not issue any
commands.  This may just be a probe to see if port 25 is open.  They could
be looking for a sendmail server < 8.12.9 or issuing a HELO/EHLO and then
disconnecting.  If your legit email is coming through without issue, I
wouldn't worry about it.

Mike