ETRN support in MailScanner required

Michael Mansour micoots at YAHOO.COM
Sun Aug 15 06:58:53 IST 2004

Hi,

I'm using Fedora Core 1 and 2, sendmail and
mailscanner.

My primary mailserver is on Fedora Core 1.
My backup mailserver is on Fedora Core 2.
Both run sendmail and MailScanner.

For my backup mailserver, I use mailertable and dsmtp
configured in that with the primary server making ETRN
connections to the backup every hour (I'm using the
sendmail etrn.pl script from the contrib directory to
perform this step).

I've recently installed MailScanner on my backup
server and now ETRN responses aren't being made to it.

I tracked this down to the MailScanner startup script
which had the following entry:

        $SENDMAIL -bd -OPrivacyOptions=noetrn \

Commenting that out and restarting MailScanner allows
MailScanner to respond with ETRN on an SMTP
connection.

I've read the list archives on this and it was
mentioned in there that enabling this in MailScanner
means that clients could receive unscanned virus and
spam emails, bypassing MailScanner altogether.

Is this true?

Does this matter in my situation anyway since the
primary mailserver also runs MailScanner and would
scan the messages when it picks them up anyway?

Note I do not have _any_ users picking up any mail
from the backup server, all it does is handle mailing
lists and backup mail services for my domain.

I've commented out the above "noetrn" line so I can
continue to have my backup mail server facility
working. Is this the best way to go about it?

I'm using MailScanner 4.31.6-1 on the backup server
and MailScanner 4.25-14 on the primary mail server.

Thanks.

Michael.

http://au.movies.yahoo.com