Add things to the Solaris distribution?

Peter Bonivart peter at UCGBOOK.COM
Sat Aug 14 15:31:12 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
Julian Field wrote:
> Would you like me to add things to the Solaris distribution?
> Things I have recently written in the way of installation scripts include
> Mail::ClamAV and all its dependencies, including clam itself, along with
> Mail::SpamAssassin including all its dependencies.
>
> These are all currently designed for the tar distribution for Solaris
> systems, I can also give you a set of the most useful freeware packages
> (for i386 & sparc) along with a script to install them. Are there Solaris
> users out there who would like this?
>
> This is all coming out of a one-command Solaris 9 distribution I am putting
> together for a potential user.
>
> I'm not sure it will appear for RPM systems, I haven't really got time.

I think the new way of installing the tar dist is already great. I
tested it a lot before using it on my production systems for 4.32.5 and
it works very well. I maintain several Linux based MS systems too and
still prefer the power of the tar dist. That symlink is very important
for peace of mind during an upgrade. :-) The only thing I would want in
the tar dist is a generic start script for MS only and a script for
updating reports, I would settle for them being in a contrib directory
instead of being used during install. I have sent you my simple scripts
earlier.

The demand for this kind of complete system install might be larger
within the Linux community because of not only that more MS systems
seems to be Linux based but also that there are more inexperienced
sysadmins within that community.

To be more geared towards Sun it probably should use packages, be in the
form of a Flash archive, use Jumpstart or some combination. But that
would make it harder to maintain for you.

I'm very happy with the way it is now.  :-)

--
/Peter Bonivart

--Unix lovers do it in the Sun