Stopping sendmail from allowing external hosts to use local email addresses

Alex Neuman alex at nkpanama.com
Fri Aug 13 15:13:59 IST 2004

SPF - spf.pobox.com

-----Original Message-----
Of Gary Alexander
Sent: Friday, August 13, 2004 2:12 AM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: OT: Stopping sendmail from allowing external hosts to use local
email addresses

Hi All

As per my subject, can anyone point me to some documentation on how to
achieve this in sendmail ie: If a most likely virus infected host tries
to send a mail using someuser at mydomain.co.za to
someotheruser at mydomain.co.za and that host is not one of a set of
predefined hosts, is there a way to reject it?

This would really help to cut down the load of viruses I've seen lately
that are doing this, and I have no valid users that would require to do
this.

Thanks for any help in this regard.

Gary Alexander
Technical Manager
Sahara Systems, South Africa
Tel: +27 (0)11 5421000
Fax: +27 (0)11 5421100

-  PLEASE NOTE -

the system manager. Please note that any views or opinions presented
in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of Sahara Computers (Pty) Ltd. Finally, while Sahara
Computers attempts to ensure that all email is virus-free, Sahara
Computers accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus
transmitted by this email.

Sahara Computers (PTY) Ltd
89 Gazelle Avenue, Corporate Park, Midrand, South Africa
Private Bag X180, Halfway House, 1685, South Africa

-----
Scanned and protected by MailScanner @ mail.sahara.co.za