SURBL installation

Peter Bonivart peter at UCGBOOK.COM
Thu Aug 5 22:26:39 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
Today I installed the SURBL as packaged on FSL.com. Thanks Steve for
making it easy. I had good use of the INSTALL file but I would like to
point out a couple of minor issues.

1. "perl -MCPAM" (note that it says CPAM, not CPAN) should be "perl
-MCPAN -e shell" on line 9. CPAN easily pulls URI on the fly so there's
little reason providing it if not also providing SpamCopURI for those
who can't or don't want to use CPAN.

2. Later it says to check for successful installation by looking for
"debug: uri tests: Done uriRE". I had that output before installation
too..? I didn't see any changes in the debug output after installation.

3. In the list of files to remove you mention antidrug.cf. I don't think
that is included in SURBL. Matt Kettler explained to me that it can't be
either since it's using such complex RE that the zone file would be huge.

4. I edited your cf-file to use the bitmask-combined multi-list instead
since that's makes more efficient use of net resources. Less lookups,
better cache hit rate. You may want to change the included file since
SpamCopURI supports bitmasked results as of version 0.20.

5. I also added the Phishing list that's only available using the
multi-list.

I set all lists to 4 points and they are working beautifully! Since
BigEvil grew tenfold a couple of weeks ago every MS process used 60 MB,
I'm now down to 30 MB and the load average is around half of what it
used to be. Very nice. Everyone should do this very easy upgrade. I
regret not doing it earlier.

--
/Peter Bonivart

--Unix lovers do it in the Sun

Sun Fire V210, Solaris 9, Sendmail 8.12.10, MailScanner 4.32.5,
SpamAssassin 2.63 + DCC 1.2.50, ClamAV 0.75.1 + GMP 4.1.2, Vispan 1.4

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk
</x-flowed>