Disclaimers and sigs was Re: [MAILSCANNER] Mass Mailling

Michele Neylon : Blacknight Solutions michele at BLACKNIGHTSOLUTIONS.COM
Wed Aug 4 19:37:46 IST 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 19:29, Dan Hollis wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Michele Neylon : Blacknight Solutions wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 19:12, Diego Fabara wrote:
> > > I need to send mass mailing once per week (outbound mail) > 300
> > > recipients. But I need to permit this only a few users not all.
> > And would you please STOP sending those html heavy emails with your
> > logo. They are really annoying.
>
> The retarded 'disclaimer' is more annoying. If his company is so paranoid
> about email perhaps he should not be using a company account to subscribe
> to a public mailing list.

It may be annoying, but it doesn't take all day to download a few more
lines of text. HTML heavy crap with images takes time and bandwidth plus
it makes replying to it a pain.

> IMHO there should be a standard policy on the mailscanner ML forbidding
> disclaimers -- eg if the account you are using requires disclaimers, then
> they have no business using it for a public mailing list. Not only that,
> but the severe legal risk it puts the mailscanner mailing list and all its
> subscribers into, by distributing and archiving such 'confidential'
> emails.
Some mailing list servers respect an "no archive" header.
In many cases the disclaimers and legal mumbo-jumbo is added by the
mailserver on the way out and the users have no control over it.
It would only be a legal minefield if anybody started enforcing it
anyway and in most cases it is more of a protection in case of abuse
than anything of legal weight.

--
Mr. Michele Neylon
Blacknight Internet Solutions Ltd