Feature request (was: MailScanner stable 4.32.5 released)

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Aug 3 09:43:08 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
At 09:27 03/08/2004, you wrote:
>On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 11:12:26 +0530, you wrote:
>
> >It would be very useful to include the MS version number in
> >MailScanner.conf file also. I do see
> >/etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf.rpmnew but it has an old date. If the
> >version number was included in the file it would be very easy to figure
> >out which installation generated this file
>
>And while we are at it: Can MailScanner check the version to check
>whether this MailScanner.conf version is compatible with the running
>MailScanner?

So
1) Put a "MailScanner Version Number =" setting in MailScanner.conf. This
setting would be provided in all new MailScanner.conf files. It would not
be copied into new versions of the file created by
upgrade_MailScanner_conf, but the value that was in the shipped version of
the new file would be left intact. This is messy as it means there is now
an exception to the upgrade_... script.
2) MailScanner would complain if the version number in the file was less
than the version number written into the MailScanner code. Also a bit messy
as the number is a x.y.z number not just a float, but I can handle that I
guess.

Is that what people want? Just trying to get the system spec out of the
user spec :-)
--
Julian Field

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk