Help with queue backup

Fri Apr 30 15:33:05 IST 2004

Rob

have you got the mailscanner tmp file on a ram disk?

have you got the /var/log mounted with noatime and the MTA queue dirs on
a journalised filesystem?

have you lowered this setting low enough?

# If more messages are found in the queue than this, then switch to an
# "accelerated" mode of processing messages. This will cause it to stop
# scanning messages in strict date order, but in the order it finds them
# in the queue. If your queue is bigger than this size a lot of the
time, # then some messages could be greatly delayed. So treat this option as
# "in emergency only".

Max Normal Queue Size = 1000

have you looked tried installing and runing the SEtoolkit
(www.setoolkit.com?) and running the virtual_adrian.se set to see if
there is any obvious O/S stuff you can tune?

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

Vicchiullo, Rob wrote:
> OK specs first
> Sun E220 with 4 455 sparc processors and 2 gigs of ram.
> We get roughly 70k-90k emails a day.
>
> My problem is this, in the most days in the morning I get a storm of
> emails come through all at once.
> That puts my inbound queue to around 2500. Once this happens MailScanner
> never catches up. The inbound queue then rises until I have to manually
> go in and move files over to the outbound queue. This is obviously
> unacceptable.
> I have tried all the common things like lower child, raising child.
> I have Spamassassin off right now because when that is turned on my load
> go crazy (that is another problem, but this is more important).
> Any ideas would be appreciated.
> I love Mailscanner but I can't see having to manually clear my queue
> ever morning.
>
> Rob

> Before posting, please see the Most Asked Questions at http://www.mailscanner.biz/maq/     and the archives at http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html

the system manager.