Last few questions before I go live...

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at COLBY.EDU
Wed Apr 28 18:59:35 IST 2004

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, DNSAdmin wrote:

> Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 13:22:16 -0400
> From: DNSAdmin <dnsadmin at 1BIGTHINK.COM>
> To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
> Subject: Re: Last few questions before I go live...
>
> At 01:03 PM 4/28/2004, you wrote:
> >Hello everyone.
> >
> >Im getting ready to go live here with my first mailscanner. I have a mix of
> >excitement and nervousness. :)
> >
> >Just wanted to ask a few last questions, see if I can clear up a few things
> >as well as tweak my settings.
> >
> >As far as viruses are concerned, anytime MS detects any viruses in email, I
> >just wanted to have MS completely delete it. No need in delivering at all.
> >I'm stil debating on the following and was hoping for some feedback:
> >
> >- do most people here have emails sent to postmaster when MS receives a
> >virus in a email?

In my case, yes.  I have:

Send Notices = yes
Notices Include Full Headers = yes

then I use procmail to snag the virus warnings and save them to an alternate
mailbox.  I have a cronjob that runs once a day to tell me if any on-campus
machines spewed a virus, by reading this mailbox.  That way I can have our
helpdesk track down the machine.

> >- do most people here want their users to receive a email when a intended
> >email for them contained a virus?

This is a waste of time.  Use the method above and let your helpdesk track
down the real problems.

Jeff Earickson
Colby College

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk
For further info about MailScanner, please see the Most Asked
Questions at    http://www.mailscanner.biz/maq/     and the archives
at    http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html