encrypted messages not scanned within zip files?

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Mon Apr 26 20:42:14 IST 2004

At 03:15 PM 4/26/2004, Matthew K Bowman wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Do I need to ugrade or is my conf wrong?

It depends, what part of the result is unexpected to you?

         1) encrypted files inside zip archives will always be unscanned,
because they are encrypted. MS cannot do a brute-force password search in a
reasonable time in order to facilitate decryption, and scanning an
encrypted file is pointless.

         2) since you have "Allow Password-Protected Archives = no" all
encrypted zip archives will be quarantined. If you want to let encrypted
files through.

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk
For further info about MailScanner, please see the Most Asked
Questions at    http://www.mailscanner.biz/maq/     and the archives
at    http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html