Logs vs. headers

Michele Neylon :: Blacknight Solutions michele at BLACKNIGHTSOLUTIONS.COM
Mon Apr 26 17:00:32 IST 2004

Julian

I can appreciate that, however it is one of the "gotchas" that can get you
(read "me") into deep trouble :)
The Irish revenue use Symantec and our users had issues due to this setting
:/
Of course we have since changed it, but it is one that really merits a
glaring warning sign as it is so easily overlooked, nor is it the most
obvious type of error that you could find quickly.

Michele

Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Internet Solutions Ltd
http://www.blacknight.ie/
Tel. +353 59 9137101

>This configuration problem seems to crop up several times on the list.
>
>Could I suggest that MailScanner itself does a sanity check?  When it
>loads "MailScanner.conf" it could check that these various header
>definitions (e.g. "Information Header" etc.) to ensure that there are no
>glaring errors.

It's not an error in the header, it's an error in the way that Symantec's
mail products incorrectly interpret the headers.

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk
For further info about MailScanner, please see the Most Asked
Questions at    http://www.mailscanner.biz/maq/     and the archives
at    http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html