spamassassin debugging

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Sun Apr 25 11:41:55 IST 2004

On Sun, 2004-04-25 at 11:30, Andrew wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to get spamassassin to read in user preferences from a mysql
> DB, but it seems to be totally ignoring my setup :(

I don't think you can use user preferences within SA in conjunction with
MailScanner.  The 'normal' spamassassin setup (i.e. outside of
MailScanner) invokes SA from procmail [the local delivery agent] on
behlf of the recipient user, however when used from within MailScanner
it is always called by the MailScanner user (root if sendmail).  In
addition since MailScanner applies SA before local delivery messages may
be addressed to multiple local recipients at the time SA scans them,
this also confuses the issue.
If you just want user preferences for the score thresholds then a good
trick is to do the SpamAssassin scoring in MS (which is the most
efficient way), and insert the headers (but don't modify the body or
subject) then use procmail rules (or MUA rules) at the client side to
filter on the headers.  Alternately if you can make your MTA split
messages for multiple recipients you may be able to use a ruleset or
custom function in MailScanner for the spam score options.

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000
business.

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk
For further info about MailScanner, please see the Most Asked
Questions at    http://www.mailscanner.biz/maq/     and the archives
at    http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html