Slightly OT: ldap, sendmail and Exchange 5.5

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at CI.JUNEAU.AK.US
Thu Apr 22 20:19:01 IST 2004

I've noticed a lot of mail coming in lately with random usernames like
fjdoljad at ci.juneau.ak.us.  We have a few names that are a bit hard to
pronounce, but nothing like that!  It used to be that when someone left work
here I could just add them to the /etc/access list.  With all the ramdomized
addresses coming in the noise is getting annoying.

What I'd like to do is to either query my EX 5.5 server or better yet to set
up ldap on the same server I'm running MailScanner/sendmail on and do a
local lookup to see if the mail is to a valid user or not.  If not, just
reject it at the MTA level and save a lot of useless spam/virus checks.

Has anybody done something along these lines, or know of a good HowTo?  I've
been googling around but haven't found anything I can really sink my teeth
into yet.

Thanks.  Sorry it's a bit off topic.  Feel free to reply directly if you
feel it's too inappropriate and don't want to clutter the list...

...Kevin
CBJ MIS Dept.               Network Systems Administrator, Mail
Administrator
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk
For further info about MailScanner, please see the Most Asked
Questions at    http://www.mailscanner.biz/maq/     and the archives
at    http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html