Unusual # of MailScanner processes running

Jason Burzenski jburzenski at AMERICANHM.COM
Mon Apr 19 14:11:46 IST 2004

It appears that I am suffering from bayes_lock file problems.  I can't
confirm that this is the reason why I am seeing so many MS processes running
and dying (see previous msgs in thread) but it seems to make sense.

I am running MS 4.29.7, SA 2.55

I am seeing several lock files in my /root/.spamassassin/ directory and when
I run spamassassin --lint for example, I get the following error after about
10 seconds:

        [root at msbox .spamassassin]# spamassassin --lint
        Cannot open bayes_path /root/.spamassassin/bayes R/W: File exists
        Cannot open bayes_path /root/.spamassassin/bayes R/W: File exists

My bayes directory looks like this:

        [root at msbox .spamassassin]# ls -al
        total 28152
        drwx------    3 root     root         4096 Apr 19 08:58 .
        drwxr-x---   24 root     root         4096 Apr 18 05:10 ..
        drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Apr 18 00:25 1
        -rw-------    1 root     root       106964 Apr 19 08:58
bayes_journal
        -rw-------    1 root     root           26 Apr 19 08:52 bayes.lock
        -rw-------    1 root     root          208 Apr 19 08:58
bayes.lock.msbox.4446
        -rw-------    1 root     root          208 Apr 19 08:58
bayes.lock.msbox.4487
        -rw-------    1 root     root          130 Apr 19 08:58
bayes.lock.msbox.4500
        -rw-------    1 root     root          156 Apr 19 08:58
bayes.lock.msbox.4510
        -rw-------    1 root     root          104 Apr 19 08:58
bayes.lock.msbox.4511
        -rw-------    1 root     root          104 Apr 19 08:58
bayes.lock.msbox.4512
        -rw-------    1 root     root           78 Apr 19 08:58
bayes.lock.msbox.4542
        -rw-------    1 root     root           26 Apr 19 08:58
bayes.lock.msbox.4545
        -rw-------    1 root     root         3701 Apr 19 08:58
bayes_msgcount
        -rw-------    1 root     root     14139427 Apr 19 08:51 bayes_seen
        -rw-------    1 root     root     10317824 Apr 19 08:52 bayes_toks
        -rw-------    1 root     root      6643712 Apr 19 08:52
bayes_toks.new
        -rw-r--r--    1 root     root         1218 Dec  8 10:40 user_prefs
        [root at msbox .spamassassin]#

If I delete the lock files SA --lint doesn't error out but the lock files
come back soon after.  (I assume this is the problem with my high and
variable number of MS processes running because it is the only difference I
can find between this box and an identical box that is not exhibiting the
#ofprocesses issue).

I found this in the FAQomatic:

http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/cgi-bin/faq?_recurse=1&file=16#file_303

But I'm a little confused about what I should be doing because of this
update to the FAQomatic:

Update 2004-04-03. Julian included a patch in MS 4.29.7 which fixes the
problem
until SA is fixed. Users of MS 4.29.7 and later are recommended to expire
tokens from there instead.

How do I expire tokens from MS 4.29.7?

Thanks,

Jason