Strength of MailScanner vs w/SpamAssasin

Pete pete at eatathome.com.au
Fri Apr 16 01:21:05 IST 2004

Mark Steudel wrote:

>I was wondering if MailScanner can be as tough on spam as
>MailScanner/wSpamAssin?
>
>I'm trying to figure out ways to reduce more of the incoming spam.
>
>These are my current Spam Lists:
>
>spamhaus-XBL NJABL spamhaus.org ORDB-RBL SORBS-DNSBL SORBS-SPAM SORBS-ZOMBIE
>
>I have Spam Lists To Reach High Scores = 1
>
>I've also heard people talk about bayes but am unsure of exactly what it is
>and whether or not I can implement it without spamassasin.
>
>Thanks Mark

A lot of the user here use SpamAssassin, i would guess its almost the
norm with MailScanner - plus i noticed Julian has said its best to use
spamhaus-XBL+SBL - its a combination liost working very well.

We stop a LOT of spam that doesnt appear in any lists using
spamassassin, i dont think MailScanner is designed to replace somrthing
like spamassassin, eg its main goal is not stopping all the spam, its
stopping dangerous content? Is this wrong anyone? Also relying on rbls
to stop all the spam certainly wouldnt work for us.

Install it and try it, if you dont like it its VERY easy to turn off
again, Use Spamassassin = no

Good luck
Pete