cannot install MailScanner due to 2 instances of Perl

Dene Ulmschnieder dene at DATATECHIE.COM
Fri Apr 16 02:21:02 IST 2004

Hello all.

I am getting an error while trying to install MailScanner-4.29.7-1 that
states that I nave 2 versions of Perl installed and that I should get
rid of one of them.

This is a new server that I am setting up and it installed Perl 5.8.0 (
/usr/bin ) with the RHL 9 install but I also installed 5.8.3 (
/usr/local ) to have the latest version running. The MailScanner script
says that I should completely remove the version located in /usr/local
(5.8.3) and then run the script again. I would like to keep the newer
version and remove the older 5.8.0 version. The questions that I have
are:

1-       Is there a technical reason to keep the older 5.8.0?

2-       How do I COMPLETELY remove the version of Perl that I do not
want to keep?

3-       If I uninstall 5.8.0 will that affect anything else on the
server that may be directed to that version?

4-       If so - how can I (if at all) redirect all Perl requests to the
5.8.3 version?

Thanks for any help or direction that anyone might be able to offer.
This new server is replacing a 3 year old server that already has
MailScanner / SA running and we LOVE it. Just hoping to get a little
help to keep use it...

Regards,

Dene Ulmschneider

142 Willis Avenue