Troubleshooting SPAM REPORT : TIMED OUT errors

Brian Lewis test at NEXTMILL.NET
Thu Apr 15 20:16:30 IST 2004

Every 20 messages or so I get a spam message that has a 0.00 spam rating
and has SPAM REPORT : TIMED OUT (MailWatch Interface).  /var/log/maillog
shows that it killed the SpamAssassin because it timed out.  I tried
increasing the interval to 120 seconds in mailscanner config but that
hasn't helped (restarted service after change).
command line lint test looks good, about 10 seconds to perform all the
tests. And obviously its working 1 out of every 20 times.
How can I log the SpamAssassin details to a logfiles so that I can see
what is causing the hangup sometimes?  I would imagine it requires
runnning SpamAssassin in DEBUG mode but that outputs to the console and I
am remote so I need to output to a file instead, thus I would turn on the
DEBUG for say 10 minutes to capture the details, then parse thru that log
file to look at the problem message to see what caused SpamAssassin to
fail.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks