having problems after server upgrade

Chris Yuzik chris at FRACTALWEB.COM
Thu Apr 15 04:18:54 IST 2004

Hi everyone,

I just upgraded my RedHat 7.3 machine that had Ensim Pro 3.5.20 running.
It now has Ensim Pro 3.7.1 running on Fedora Linux. I was told that the
upgrade routine would take approximately an hour or so. Over two hours
later, it finally hands me a somewhat busted machine. Figures! Now I'm
trying to pick up the pieces, but I desperately need some help.

The httpd.conf file was hosed, so I had to edit that by hand...what fun!
That part is working now.

The server is now running sendmail 8.12.10, and the install script
installed spamassassin 2.60. It also installed MailScanner, although I'm
really not sure what version. As soon as I started having problems, I
immediately installed spamassasin 2.63 and MailScanner 4.30.1.

Now for my problems (there are several).

1. When MailScanner 4.30.1 starts via "service MailScanner start", it's
the only thing that starts. Before the big upgrade, it also started
sendmail.

2. There now seem to be two copies of sendmail. When I type "service
sendmail start", I get one called "sendmail" and another called
"sm-client". This is new, and I'm not sure what the function of each is.
Also, does this require any tweaking of the MailScanner.conf file?

3. If I start both sendmail and MailScanner by hand, things "sorta" work.

4. I have Clam and McAfee antivirus installed and specified in the
MailScanner.conf file; neither one catches the eicar string in a text file.

5. MailWatch is busted too, but I think one of the libraries got
upgraded too far. I may be able to fix this myself.

Help!

Thanks,
Chris