don't scan outgoing exim queue?

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Apr 14 21:17:14 IST 2004

At 20:52 14/04/2004, you wrote:
>On Wednesday 14 April 2004 12:53 pm, Julian Field wrote:
> > At 19:33 14/04/2004, you wrote:
> > >The setup: I have exim (3.36) and mailscanner 4.28 on debian/woody.  I
> > > have the split config files, using init and seperate spools for incoming
> > > and outgoing (exim conf and MailScanner conf available upon request).
> > > Note that exim_incoming is used for both people sending us mail, as well
> > > as all outgoing mail that's sent from the client machines, so the
> > > incoming/outgoing is kinda disengenous.
> > >
> > >The problem:  I have users sending files like 03145.mip.doc (<-real
> > > example) to other architects quite a bit.  Of course, the file extension
> > > hiding picks up on that, and quarintines the outgoing message.  Now, we
> > > really *want* the file extension hiding protection for *incoming*
> > > messages, but it's biting us hard for outgoing.  Seeing as getting
> > > architects to change their ways is a fruitless venture, how can I
> > > configure it so that mailscanner doesn't scan outgoing messages, just
> > > incoming (maybe by seeing if the reciever is local or not)?
> >
> > I hate to have to make by far the most frequent reply on this list, but
> > please investigate rulesets.
>
>Hey, if you have to tell me to RTFM, that's my problem, no yours :-)
>
> > You can make a ruleset produce one filenames.rules.conf file for your
> > friendly architects, and one for everyone else. Or just switch off scanning
> > for outgoing message and not for incoming messages.
> >
> > Read /etc/MailScanner/rules/*
>
>So I added 10.0.0. to the spam.whitelist.rules file, which turns of spam
>scanning.  Does that also cover "virus" scanning (which is what I believe is
>catching the "hidden" extention problem)?  I.e., is that all I had to do to
>turn of all scanning on outgoing messages?  Twould be sweet if that was...

There's a reason it is called the *spam*.whitelist.rules file :-)
If you want to use it for all the filename and virus scanning as well, then
just set
Virus Scanning = /etc/MailScanner/rules/virus.scanning.rules
as well and put a "no" entry in there for all your internal departments
that you don't want to scan for, and a "yes" for "FromOrTo: default".
--
Julian Field