don't scan outgoing exim queue?

David Bishop tech at GNUCONSULTING.COM
Wed Apr 14 20:52:06 IST 2004

On Wednesday 14 April 2004 12:53 pm, Julian Field wrote:
> At 19:33 14/04/2004, you wrote:
> >The setup: I have exim (3.36) and mailscanner 4.28 on debian/woody.  I
> > have the split config files, using init and seperate spools for incoming
> > and outgoing (exim conf and MailScanner conf available upon request).
> > Note that exim_incoming is used for both people sending us mail, as well
> > as all outgoing mail that's sent from the client machines, so the
> > incoming/outgoing is kinda disengenous.
> >
> >The problem:  I have users sending files like 03145.mip.doc (<-real
> > example) to other architects quite a bit.  Of course, the file extension
> > hiding picks up on that, and quarintines the outgoing message.  Now, we
> > really *want* the file extension hiding protection for *incoming*
> > messages, but it's biting us hard for outgoing.  Seeing as getting
> > architects to change their ways is a fruitless venture, how can I
> > configure it so that mailscanner doesn't scan outgoing messages, just
> > incoming (maybe by seeing if the reciever is local or not)?
>
> I hate to have to make by far the most frequent reply on this list, but
> please investigate rulesets.

Hey, if you have to tell me to RTFM, that's my problem, no yours :-)

> You can make a ruleset produce one filenames.rules.conf file for your
> friendly architects, and one for everyone else. Or just switch off scanning
> for outgoing message and not for incoming messages.
>
> Read /etc/MailScanner/rules/*

So I added 10.0.0. to the spam.whitelist.rules file, which turns of spam
scanning.  Does that also cover "virus" scanning (which is what I believe is
catching the "hidden" extention problem)?  I.e., is that all I had to do to
turn of all scanning on outgoing messages?  Twould be sweet if that was...

Thanks for the quick (and informative) reply!

D.A.Bishop