Exim 3.36 MS 4-29.7-1 Auto Replies

Kevin J Taylor kjt at BDAL.COM
Wed Apr 14 15:28:38 IST 2004

Hello,

I install MS last night and its working as designed.  Great product.
Autoreplies are not working. I couldn't find the answer in the archives
and I was wondering what other Exim users are doing in regard to
autoreplies. I believe I found the answer (See Below) but thought I ask
other Exim users how they are doing it or if its OK to implement the
answer below.

Here's what my log says in regards to a autoreply:

2004-04-13 18:02:25 1BDVz1-0005KT-00 == joe at bdal.com <joe at bdal.com>
T=vacation_user defer (0): Failed to send message from vacation_user
transport (1)/vacation

Answer on why this happens. (From Google)

Basically, you can't use -C (even when started by root) to run an
instance of Exim that is going to try to send an autoreply message from
a non-root, non-exim process. When Exim is called with -C, it passes on
-C to any instances of itself that it calls (so that the whole sequence
uses the same config file). If it's running as exim when it does this,
all is well. However, if it happens as a consequence of a non-privileged
user running an autoreply, the called Exim gives up its root privilege.
Then it can't write the spool.

  Because of the architecture of Exim (using re-execs to regain
  privilege), there isn't any way round this in general.

Answer from someone who appears to have solved the problem.

It turned out that I had set Delivery Method = batch in MailScanner and
not queue, therefore MailScanner executed the binary defined by
Sendmail2(provided for Exim users). You get one guess at what I had
defined Sendmail2 as... Yeah that is almost correct:
/usr/lib/sendmail -C/etc/eximmail/exim_outgoing.conf

I've now changed that to:
Sendmail2 = /pack/exim-4.05/outgoing/bin/exim

So I'm thinking of getting rid of the -C option but thought I ask if
this is O.K.

THANKS in Advance,
Kevin