ANNOUNCE: Unstable 4.30.1

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Apr 14 12:10:31 IST 2004

Morning all,

I hope you have all had a good break and that you are feeling calm and
relaxed now (the mailing list has got quite heated in the past week, not
good news).

I have just released the first beta release of 4.30.
I believe I have fixed all the outstanding problems, but I'm sure you will
correct me if (when!) I'm wrong.
:-)

Major new changes are
- Support for SpamAssassin version 3
- Support for AVG virus scanner
- Better timeout handling to find failing "Spam Lists" and SpamAssassin
timing out
- Zip files can now be located by content or name
- upgrade_MailScanner_conf doesn't delete all your custom %variables%
- BitDefender support scripts now handle old and new versions automatically

Download as usual from www.mailscanner.info.

The full ChangeLog is here:
* New Features and Improvements *
- Zip files can now be located either by filename or by file contents, so
   you can effectively control whether your users can avoid zip file checking
   by renaming ".zip" to "_zip" for example. Note this does not affect virus
   checking, the contents of zip files will still be scanned for viruses.
   Note that this works with self-extracting zip files as well. The
   configuration option is called "Find Archives By Content" and is on by
   default.
- The upgrade_MailScanner_conf command now preserves all your custom
   %variable% settings.
- Added support for Grisoft AVG virus scanner. Thanks to Rick Cooper for his
   hard work on this.
- Linux cron job scripts added to tarball distribution.
- BitDefender wrapper and autoupdate scripts now support both old and new
   versions without any modifications needed. They find the version
   automatically.
- Made the spam tag come before the virus tag on infected messages so that
   spam can be dumped more easily automatically.
- Tightened up MIME decoder to catch more of the tests at www.testvirus.org.
- Added support for SpamAssassin version 3.
- Added new configuration options so that RBL's (and SpamAssassin) can have
   their network checks disabled is they fail more than a certain fraction of
   the time. This is very good for finding unreliable RBL's that don't always
   fail and are therefore not found by the "max timeouts" settings.

* Fixes *
- Debian fix for their different dir structure causing problems with
   update_virus_scanners.
- Fixed problem where some HTML messages from Yahoo did not have the clean
   message signature added to their HTML portion.
- Fixed problem with some systems not rewinding file extraction directory
   properly.
- Fix to get rid of zombie processes quickly and cleanly.
--
Julian Field