SophosSAVI same speed as Sweep ?

Tue Apr 13 09:25:36 IST 2004

Michael

you might want to play with the number of children (reduce it) and and
batch size (again try reducing it) and see what impact that makes.

alot of the tuning of MS is very situation specific. There's a some info
on tuning on the MAQ at www.mailscanner.biz as well.

FYI I can do about 1500 emails an hour with Savi, ClamAV, SA with lots
of custom rules, spamhaus XBL + other RBLs along with MailWatch (and the
mysql DB) all on a single Celeron 600/512mB ram...

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

Lang, Michael wrote:
> I'm having problems getting SophosSAVI to run faster than Sweep.  Is it really that much faster?
>
> I'm currently running MailScanner 4.22-5 on a dual 1.1 GHz PIII with 1.2 GB RAM and RedHat 7.2.  To run my tests I use 10 children, batches of 30, and Spam Checks set to no.  Whether or not I use Sweep or SophosSAVI I get max around 3.5 emails per second processed with a queue size of around 600 and messages coming in average 1 per second.
>
> It's fast enough for the moment but doesn't give me enough speed to do spam checks and grow.  Does anyone know what speeds I should be getting (roughly)?
>
> I have also noticed that when running SophosSAVI in addition to the original 10 children that start up, there are lots of MailScanner processes firing up & down like crazy!  Is this normal?
>
> Any comments/help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> - Mike

>            Mike Lang
>     Network Security Analyst
> University of Connecticut - UITS