SophosSAVI same speed as Sweep ?

Lang, Michael mike.lang at UCONN.EDU
Mon Apr 12 23:40:36 IST 2004

I'm having problems getting SophosSAVI to run faster than Sweep.  Is it really that much faster?

I'm currently running MailScanner 4.22-5 on a dual 1.1 GHz PIII with 1.2 GB RAM and RedHat 7.2.  To run my tests I use 10 children, batches of 30, and Spam Checks set to no.  Whether or not I use Sweep or SophosSAVI I get max around 3.5 emails per second processed with a queue size of around 600 and messages coming in average 1 per second.

It's fast enough for the moment but doesn't give me enough speed to do spam checks and grow.  Does anyone know what speeds I should be getting (roughly)?

I have also noticed that when running SophosSAVI in addition to the original 10 children that start up, there are lots of MailScanner processes firing up & down like crazy!  Is this normal?

Any comments/help would be greatly appreciated!

- Mike

           Mike Lang
    Network Security Analyst
University of Connecticut - UITS