New wrapper scripts for Sophos updated via EM Library v1.1

Wayne Fox subscriptions at ETEAM.COM.AU
Tue Apr 13 04:03:53 IST 2004

New wrapper scripts for Sophos updated via EM Library v1.1 submitted for
testing.
(They work for me :-))

As of March 2004, Sophos EM Library v1.1 provides Engine and definition
Updates on Unix Clients via a SAMBA mounted directory to a Windows PC
running the EM Library software.

See http://www.sophos.com/products/em/emupgrade.html/

Upgrading to EM Library 1.1

Sophos has released an enhanced version of its tool for administering and
automatically updating Sophos Anti-Virus. Now called EM Library, the
software forms part of an extended
<http://www.sophos.com/products/em/emupgrade.html//products/em/>Enterprise
Manager suite of applications which also includes EM Reporter, SAVAdmin and
Remote Update.

EM Library 1.1 replaces Enterprise Manager 1.02 and includes these new
features:
    * Sophos Anti-Virus updates for Macintosh, Unix/Linux and NetWare -
bringing the benefits of automated upgrades to users of these key
non-Windows platforms
    * a built-in alerting system - eliminating the need for routine checking
    * improved diagnostics and error reporting - reducing administrative
effort.
Please note that the release of EM Library 1.1 has resulted in the Sophos
databank being upgraded to include the new Sophos Anti-Virus packages for
NetWare, Mac, Unix and Linux.

Sophos provides an "eminstall.sh" script to be run from /etc that does all
the nasty update work. (I have included this script unmodified in the
attached zip file). This script looks in the SMB mounted windows directory
and compares it to a local Unix copy for changes/updates. If update or
difference is detected, copy from Windows directory to Local Cache
Directory is done then Sophos is re-installed from the local copy. This
updates both Engine AND virus definition files in one step.

You no longer have to wait for the monthly CD from Sophos to update it's
Engine (which changes monthly). No more install scripts to run manually
every month etc...

Note, you must have a licence for EM Library (Enterprise Manager for Win
NT/2K) AS WELL as a licence for Sweep updates (SAVI for UNIX). The EM
Library licence is for the Windows software that logs in then polls the
Sophos site for Engine AND virus Definition updates hourly (in our setup
anyway). Updates are placed in a Windows directory local to the PC running
EM Library.

--- Attached ZIP file ---
I have included modified Sophos wrapper scripts that will utilise the new
eminstall.sh script if the SMB mount is present, otherwise it will fallback
to only downloading the latest definitions as before. I have also included
".conf" files and other support shell scripts I used with my Linux
MailScanner installation.

Wayne