FW: Mail Down MS problem a little help please

Stephen Swaney steve.swaney at FSL.COM
Sat Apr 10 23:31:39 IST 2004

Joe is having problems posting to the list. He asked me to post this.

Steve
Stephen Swaney
President
Fortress Systems Ltd.
Steve.Swaney at FSL.com

From: JOSEPH DOE [mailto:maildown88 at yahoo.com]
Sent: Saturday, April 10, 2004 4:45 PM
To: steve.swaney at FSL.COM
Cc: mailscanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK
Subject: Mail Down MS problem a little help please

Hi this is joe at Eagle Net Support  mailed the comment yesterday bad friday
good friday...

I've got a mail down due to no MailScanner.pid error   Could I get some help
forwarding this error/request for help to the MailScanner List.  Can't
remember passwd to use web interface, can't start up a temp account cause I
can't confirm the e-mail they send to new accounts, tried creating this
yahoo to get through but they must be blocking yahoo or something cause over
an hour and no confirmation e-mail to allow me into MailScanner list.

Could you paste this in mail to the list PLEEEEASE.  I can at least see the
answers in the WEB interface.  I setup this yahoo to deal with this but it's
not getting on the list maildown88 at yahoo.com

thanks joe
eaglenetworks
************************paste in text to send
NOTE: Joe at eagle net support here this mail is a relay cause my mail is
dead.  I'll be looking at the WEB interface to the list for any
answers.........

Very few mails are going through, maybe 5%
Getting this when I shut down MS

rm: cannot remove `/var/run/MailScanner.pid': Input/output error  ]
Though it does shut down here with no displayed error on startup

Getting this in maillog
Apr 10 12:23:25 saturn sendmail[14785]: i3AINNB14785: to=<Conradpe at aol.com>,

delay=00:00:01,
 mailer=esmtp, pri=33206, stat=queued
Apr 10 12:23:25 saturn sendmail[14785]: i3AINNB14785: SYSERR(root): cannot
rename(./tfi3AINN
B14785, ./qfi3AINNB14785), uid=0: No such file or directory
Apr 10 12:23:25 saturn sendmail[14785]: i3AINNB14785: queueup: cannot create

./tfi3AINNB1478
5, uid=0: File exists
Apr 10 12:23:25 saturn MailScanner[14786]: MailScanner E-Mail Virus Scanner
version
4.24-5 s
tarting...
Apr 10 12:23:25 saturn MailScanner[14786]: Could not read file
/var/run/MailScanner.pid
Apr 10 12:23:25 saturn MailScanner[14786]: Error in line 114, file
"/var/run/MailScanner.pid
" for pidfile does not exist (or can not be read)

This appears for almost every piece with an occasional delivery ???
Confirmed no MailScanner.pid in /var/run and a locate shows no file by that
name except in the original src set before install.

Also 200+ sendmail processes build up in minutes, (during normal delivery
5-8 average) till I kill it.  Maybe 10% of these show "[MailScanner
<defunct>]"

Red Hat 7.1
1.2 G proc
640 MEG Mem
Sendmail
MS 4.25.14

Any ideas and any more info needed?  No mail now so monitoring WEB interface
to list for suggestions.  I setup this yahoo to deal with this but it's not
getting on the list maildown88 at yahoo.com

thanks
joe