auto learn spam for particular address?

Chris Yuzik chris at FRACTALWEB.COM
Fri Apr 9 07:36:18 IST 2004

Steve Thomas wrote:

>When signing up to "get free stuff", did the agreement that you accepted say that they would be sending you advertisements and/or providing your address to 3rd parties? If so, the messages you're getting from them or their partners isn't technically spam. You may not want it, but you agreed to receive it and they could be legitimate bulk mailers with proper opt-out procedures whose messages you're improperly (IMHO) training your bayes db with.

Well, one example of this was an email address that I (personally) used
to use about 5 or 6 years ago--long before the days of transparent
privacy policies. It was used only on a few websites, and mostly just
for stock information, etc. I stopped using the address in early 1999.
The address averages 80+ spams a day and each month increases.

Don't get me started on the whole "opt-out" scam. "Sure...opt-out, but
now we KNOW you read your email...so we'll opt you out of THIS mailer,
but sell your name to 5000 other bulk mailers." Bah!

>Seeding newsgroups is another story...

Yup. I've got an address that I've done this with. It's amazing how
sometimes inside of a week or two, the spam starts rolling in.

>Could be because it's not really spam...

I don't see any pigs flying, and haven't heard of any blizzards in
hell...I'm certain this is spam.

>I don't know of a way to do this within MailScanner (could be one; I'm not a MS expert), but if you're using procmail, you could just create a recipe for that user which feeds the message to sa-learn.

Well, now you've got me thinking. I suppose I could create a real email
mbox file for these now defunct addresses, and write a shell script to
run sa-learn on the mailbox each night, then zero out the file. Hmmm. It
could work, but it sounds a bit kludgy.

Cheers,
Chris