Update rules settings on the fly

Ugo Bellavance ugob at CAMO-ROUTE.COM
Thu Apr 8 21:53:15 IST 2004

Usually, with restart, it kills all the processes and restarts them.  With reload, it only sends the processes signals to re-read its config.

However, when I reload MailScanner, I get this in my logs:

Apr  8 16:37:24 mta1 MailScanner[27669]: MailScanner child caught a SIGHUP
Apr  8 16:37:25 mta1 MailScanner[27669]: Config: calling custom end function MailWatchLogging
Apr  8 16:37:25 mta1 MailScanner[27669]: Disconnected from the database
Apr  8 16:37:25 mta1 MailScanner[30448]: MailScanner E-Mail Virus Scanner version 4.28.5 starting...
Apr  8 16:37:25 mta1 MailScanner[30448]: Config: calling custom init function MailWatchLogging
Apr  8 16:37:26 mta1 MailScanner[30448]: Initialising database connection
Apr  8 16:37:26 mta1 MailScanner[30448]: Finished initialising database connection
Apr  8 16:37:45 mta1 MailScanner[30448]: Using locktype = flock

I guess Julian or Steve (mailwatch) would be better than me to explain the consequences.