Memory Usage {Scanned}

Mike Kercher mike at CAMAROSS.NET
Thu Apr 1 06:58:05 IST 2004

My understanding is that this is normal behavior.  The kernel releases
memory as it is needed.  Output of free on 2 of my machines:

$ free
Mem:       1548284    1457620      90664          0     131196     782980
-/+ buffers/cache:     543444    1004840
Swap:      1044216      47660     996556

# free
Mem:       1022796     944676      78120          0     188224     341936
-/+ buffers/cache:     414516     608280
Swap:      2048276     170856    1877420

Mike