Memory Usage {Scanned}

Karl Bailey Karl.Bailey at LANDMARK-INFORMATION.CO.UK
Thu Apr 1 06:33:37 IST 2004

I've run MailScanner with sendmail for over a year, hasn't gone wrong once, I always upgrade to latest version. Mail gets past through spam assassin & three virus scanners, it started life on a 2Ghz dual xeon machine with 1 Gbyte ram running RH7.3, it now lives on a 3Ghz dual xeon with 2Gbytes ram under RH9.0. I also manage a remote mailscanner in a small office RH8.0 single 1100Mhz PIII with 512MBytes ram.. Same results! The machines are dedicated & no gui is running, it's a very trimmed down install.

My memory usage is through the roof all the time, never drops below 90% of physical memory used, this was first seen using snmp, I got interested & ran mailscanner-mrtg both show the same thing.. Memory usage through the roof. I can attach the mem graph if you wish.. But my point is... There seems to be no problem with this machines are solid, but I am interested in why the memory usage is so high, I figured I'd claw some of the memory back when upgrading the machine to 2Gbyte of ram but it seems as much of the memory is grabbed as possible by MailScanner.

Regards
Karl Bailey
Systems Administrator

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 01 April 2004 00:00
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: Memory Usage {Scanned}

I thought the same thing, but Ricks comment are correct.

Here is my output. Look at the 2nd line under free. I have 781256 free.
12-9-14-103 rules]# free
Mem:       1030908     977196      53712          0     215396     512148
-/+ buffers/cache:     249652     781256
Swap:      2040244      23628    2016616

David