Problems with sophossavi and Sophos 3.74

Mike Brudenell pmb1 at YORK.AC.UK
Tue Sep 30 10:01:16 IST 2003

Greetings -

--On Monday, September 29, 2003 9:04 pm +0100 Julian Field
<mailscanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK> wrote:

> Have got a very useful response from the author of the module.
>
> Simply re-build the module with the new Sophos installed and it works
> fine.
>
> In Makefile.PL, you now have to fix both the "-R" path and the "-L" path
> to point to /usr/local/Sophos/lib.

Sorry, but this doesn't work...

I had already done this (several times) yesterday but gave it one more go
just now after totally cleaning out the SAVI-Perl-0.15 files from my Perl
installation and my Sophos installation.

To summarise what I did on our Solaris 8 system (running on a SPARC
platform):

    0.  Reinstalled Sophos 3.74 into /opt/york/Sophos

    1.  Downloaded a fresh copy of SAVI-Perl-0.15.tar.gz and unpacked it.

    2.  Adjusted both the -L and -R options in its Makefile.PL to point
        to the lib directory of my latest (3.74) installation of Sophos:
            /opt/york/Sophos/lib

    3.  Double-checked the above directory path was typed correctly by
        doing an 'ls' on the cut'n'pasted text.

    4.  Remade the Makefile using
            /opt/york/bin/perl Makefile.PL

    5.  Built the SAVI-Perl-0.15 module:
            make

    6.  Installed the SAVI-Perl-0.15 module:
            make install

    7.  Tried my simple test of executing Perl to load the SAVI.pm module
        and immediately exit:
            /opt/york/bin/perl -MSAVI -e exit

    8.  Watched it fail in exactly the same way as before, with the error
        message:
            Can't load
            '/opt/york/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/sun4-solaris/auto/SAVI/SAV
            I.so' for module SAVI: ld.so.1: /opt/york/bin/perl: fatal:
            relocation error: file /opt/york/Sophos/lib/libsavi.so.3:
            symbol __moddi3: referenced symbol not found at
            /opt/york/lib/perl5/5.8.0/sun4-solaris/DynaLoader.pm line 229.
             at -e line 0
            Compilation failed in require.
            BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.

Julian: do you want me to contact the SAVI.pm author directly, or would you
prefer to do so?

Cheers,

Mike B-}

--
The Computing Service, University of York, Heslington, York Yo10 5DD, UK
Tel:+44-1904-433811  FAX:+44-1904-433740

* Unsolicited commercial e-mail is NOT welcome at this e-mail address. *